Monday, February 27, 2012

Starting at the Tetherless World Constellation

After receiving an email about opportunities for research at the TWC, I immediately sent an email to the listed addresses with the intent of researching at the TWC.  After filling out some forms, I was ready to start.

I first read some a paper about the design process of creating an ontology.  The paper was interesting, and not too difficult to read.  It first defined what an ontology was, then moved onto some problems that may arise when creating one.  The paper used the example of wine to illustrate the problems and solutions presented.  After reading the paper I felt confident that I could design an ontology on an abstract level.

The first project i have worked on is the Population Science Grid.  For this project I have been learning the javascript library d3.  D3 is a tool to create interactive data driven visualization.  I first learned html and javacript.  I then did some d3 tutorials, and tried to create some visualizations on my own.  My next step is to take data from a csv file and then use d3 to make a visualization.

No comments:

Post a Comment